Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Grant One Week

November 28th-December 5th


What a difference a week can make!  One week ago I was sleeping 9 hours a day and wondering just what motherhood had in store for me.  I knew that my life was about to change but didn't know how it would feel to be a mother and to finally know that little life inside me that had been growing for 9 months.  What a joy motherhood is!  It's been the hardest but most rewarding week of my life.  There is nothing like holding your baby boy and knowing that he's all yours.  



Loves:  Being held, eating, his paci, and cuddling with Mom and Dad.

Eating:  Grant loves to eat and has mostly been taking breast milk that I have pumped.  He has had a hard time latching on and gets really mad if he doesn't get fed as quickly as he would like.  Mommy has been frustrated that he isn't breast feeding like she would like and sometimes feels like a failure.  I'm not gonna give up on it though.  Sometimes he will breast feed without any problems which gives me some hope that he can do it.  I know that having to bottle feed him formula and having a paci has caused some nipple confusion for him.

Sleeping:  Grant has been a really good sleeper.  He wakes up, gets a diaper change,  and then we feed him.  Soon after that he falls right back to sleep.  Right now he is sleeping between 2 1/2 to 3 hours at a time.  Some times we have to wake him up to feed.  He has had a little trouble sleeping at night because his paci keeps falling out and I have to put it back in over and over again.  This has caused us both to be frustrated.  We are thinking about trying to wean him off the paci so that we all get more sleep at night.  

This Weeks Happenings:  We found out that Grant has jaundice on the day we left the hospital.  We were thankful that the doctor ordered a home therapy where he could lay in a bili bed at home instead of staying at the hospital.  I was terribly upset to find out that he would have to stay in the bed all day and night except for feedings but I knew it was for the best.  The first night we got home Grant started in the bili bed and seemed to be doing well until about midnight.  When we woke him up to feed at midnight he really wouldn't wake up and was very unresponsive.  We panicked and called the doctor's office and got a hold of the doctor on call.  She walked us through some things to do to wake him up and some exercises to see that he was ok.  After rubbing a wet wash cloth over his head and making him really mad he woke up and fed for us.  The following day a nurse came out and tested his bilirubin level and we found out that it had gone down from 14.8 to 11 which was great news.  We were told that he could get off the bili bed the following day.  Saturday Lauren and her boyfriend came for a visit and Grant enjoyed being held for hours.  Grant had his first visit with Dr. Barron.  He got a great report.  When he was born he weighed 6 lbs and 2 oz and when we left the hospital he weighed 5 lbs 14 oz.  At his first appointment he was back up to 6 lbs 4 oz.  Dr. Barron says that is great!

  Waiting with Dad at the doctor's office

Clothes:  He is wearing newborn clothes but most of them are still really long on his arms and his legs.  He won't put his legs down in the leg holes and gets frustrated with the outfits.  He is also wearing newborn diapers.  I'll be glad when he grows a little and can wear 0-3 month clothes since we have a lot of those.

See how big my clothes are?

Mommy Moments: I am so excited to say that I have lost about 10 pounds and it's exciting to watch my stomach shrinking.  My pelvis pain has gone completely away and I'm feeling much better.  

Firsts:  Grant had his first bath and seemed to enjoy it.  He also pooped on Mommy for the first time when getting his diaper changed.  

Food:  He is eating 2 oz. at every feeding.  He generally eats every three hours.


Favorite Moments:

Mommy's Favorite:  Watching him smile and his turtle face.

Daddy's Favorite:  All his facial expressions

Nicknames: Benjamin Button, Buddy, Little Man


Here are some pictures from the past week!

Daddy bringing me home for the first time.

Don't I look like a part of the Christmas decor?!

Daddy really loves holding me for hours on end!

My first time snoozing in my bouncy seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment